Lot n° 17
300 - 400
Result without fees
HENRY, Thomas (1766-1836), merchant and expert... - Lot 17 - Gros & Delettrez
HENRY, Thomas (1766-1836), merchant and expert in paintings, expert commissioner of the royal museums.
Set of 8 documents: 7 L.A.S. and a P.A.S. addressed to the secretary of the collector the duke of Caraman: Antoine-Pierre Charles Favart (1780-1867). [Paris], December 29, 1827, January 19, 1828 and n.d. 9 pp. in-4 and in-8. Addresses on the versos of the second leaves.
Interesting correspondence from Henry, who was then in charge of the Duc de Caraman's collection of paintings and drawings.
The merchant wished to have a painting by Correggio restored to "remove the small cracks", reported on the marines of Theodore Gudin at a dealer of paintings in the rue de l'Université, and transmitted offers received for drawings that had been entrusted to him, begins the drafting of the catalog of the paintings of the duke of Caraman and ensures its distribution, sends a restorer for a painting of Francia, sends a pastel recently bought, negotiates the purchase of a bronze "the frileuse", probably of Houdon, and the sale to an amateur of two works: "the virgin of Raphael and the Claude Lorrain". An autograph document signed twice by Henry attests to the reception of the works entrusted to him. A large number of paintings are described, painted among others by Francia the younger, Domenico Zampieri, Carracci, Thomas Ender, etc.
Attached: a list of drawings by Thomas Ender entrusted by Favart, probably autograph and 4 L.A.S. addressed to Antoine-Pierre Charles Favart about the collection of paintings of Caraman.
Interesting contents concerning the auctions, the art dealers Holzmeister, Colnaghi, etc.; the Cossé-Brissac and Caraman collections, and the painters Claude Lorrain, Patel, La Hyre, De Heem, Sebastien Bourdon, Gonzales Coques, etc.
Without an heir, Thomas Henry anonymously bequeathed his personal collection to his native town of Cherbourg. He set one condition: it had to be accessible to the public and thus offer "enjoyment and lessons to those (...) who have received from nature a taste for fine arts". The city's museum, founded in 1835, bears the name of its generous donor.
Return to catalogue